Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bittersweet orchestra

I think that the powers that be communicate to you by forces that only make sense to you.  Here's why I feel that way.  The night my mother died was restless and disturbing.  In my dreams John Denver talked to me and told me everything was going to be alright.  One of his songs was playing in my head, although I don't know which one exactly.  Nevertheless, I recognized the song.  My dream was interrupted by my dad calling me and telling me my mother had died.  We had a John Denver bond.  We both loved his music.  It was completely dorky but it brought us together.  Over the years traumatic events have happened where music has had an interesting presence in my life.  Many times.  I just failed to make the connection.
On Jan. 21, 2011 I was laid off from my dream job.  I was crushed.  I'll spare you the details but I was completely shocked.  Fifteen years as a loyal employee, gone.  I thought I was an ambassador of this organization.  Nope.  I was an expendable employee with an employee number. 
When I got into my car and turned the key the radio came on and the song "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve was playing.  I drove away in tears. 
Flash forward two weeks later to the HOUR.  The Denver Post called me and asked me to shoot an assignment for them.  When I got in the car to drive to the assignment, guess what was on the radio? 
The same song.
I'm not bitter anymore.

Here's a photo from that assignment.  It's a story about the 50th anniversary of the 1961 plane crash that claimed the lives of the entire US Word Figure Skating team.  This bench at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs honors some of the skaters who perished.

No comments: